(Received: 07/29/2012, Posted: 07/30/2012)
A Special Message From ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson
Fellow Firearm Owner,
As many of you know, a ruthless criminal recently murdered 12 persons and wounded scores more at a theater in suburban Denver. Of course, the gun control movement has absolved the perpetrator and transferred blame for the this brutal crime to you, the law-abiding firearm owner. Once again, the gun grabbers expect lawful gun owners to take it on the chin for the
murderous misdeeds of others.
In the weeks and months ahead, you will hear the media and anti-gun politicians calling for a "national dialog on reasonable solutions to violent crime." Rest assured, this will not be a "dialog." Rather, this so-called dialog will be a listening session for gun owners who will find
themselves on the receiving end of a scolding from the self righteous, gun-hating leftists who will make it very plain that gun owners must accept curtailment of their rights.
In recent days, gun control advocates have been all over leftist talk radio shows and internet blogs advancing proposals for "reasonable restrictions" on gun ownership. Among these restrictions are the following:
1. A ban and mandatory surrender of your semiautomatic rifles, pistols and shotguns.
2. A ban and mandatory surrender of magazines having a capacity exceeding 10 rounds.
3. A ban on internet sales of ammunition and reloading components.
4. Limits on ammunition purchases (100 rounds per year according to one proposal)
5. Performance-based bans on certain bullet designs and calibers.
This list of restrictions being furthered by the gun control movement is just the beginning with even more onerous limits sure to follow. Nonetheless, enactment of any of these restrictions would certainly doom private firearm ownership. As we all know, the true aim of the gun control
movement is a gun-free America.
My friends, I guarantee you that the ISRA will never engage in any "dialog" that will result in the diminishment of your right to keep and bear arms. We will not set foot on "common ground" and we will never participate in any sort of compromise just to make some political candidate look good. We are gun owners helping gun owners preserve gun ownership.
Given the political climate, the task before us is daunting. Yet, I am confident that, with your help, we will turn back this latest attack on your right to keep and bear arms. Here are 5 things you can do to help ensure victory for our nation's traditions.
1. Call the offices of your U.S. Senators, your U.S. Representative, your Illinois Senator and Illinois State Representative. Firmly, yet politely tell the person who answers the phone that you are a law-abiding firearm owner and that you will not accept arbitrary limitations on your gun rights merely for the sake of "doing something" in response to wholesale slaughters carried out by disturbed criminals. If you do not know how to get in touch with your elected officials, then follow this link:
Illinois Board of Elections District Official/Search:
2. Please pass this alert on to your gun owning friends and family members for action.
3. Post this alert to any and all Internet blogs, bulletin boards and social media sites to which you may belong.
4. Join the ISRA or ask a friend to join. www.isra.org/join
5. Give a generous donation to the ISRA by going to the following link: www.isra.org/fight_4_your_rights.
This is one of the most crucial moments in the history of private firearm ownership. If we lose this upcoming battle, then we may never see our rights restored. Hard work, determinations, and love of our Constitution are the three greatest tools we have to ensure that our traditions are
preserved for future generations.
Richard A. Pearson
Illinois State Rifle Association