(Received: 05/24/2013, Posted: 05/26/2013)
CCW BILL ALERT - SB 2193 - VIABLE PROPOSAL ON THE TABLE
After many years of working to advance a Right to Carry bill, there is a viable proposal on the table. This bill, SB 2193, sponsored by Representative Brandon Phelps, is not a perfect bill but it does have several good points, for example:
- Shall issue
- Statewide pre-emption of all gun laws
- Commercially available training
- Vehicles will be a safe haven
However, the bill does call for:
- 16 hours of training, although some previous training will count toward those hours
- $150.00 license fee, for five years
- Carry on mass transportation prohibited
This bill, if passed, will bring Right to Carry to Illinois, but due to the restrictions in the bill we are neutral on the bill.
While many people have been involved in this effort, Representative Brandon Phelps has demonstrated superior leadership and should be commended for his resolve.